Wednesday 6 July 2011

THE NEWS OF THE WORLD WANTS TO BE WHAT ?

I remember quite clearly late in 1955,  I was a student at Nottingham University, studying law, when one Sunday morning I was with my girlfriend and I wanted to buy a newspaper.

"Which one do you want to buy", she asked ?  I replied  "The Barmaid's Bible" !!!  "What's that ?", she asked and added it doesn't exist !!! "    "OK," I said !!! " Follow me" !!!  We went to the newspaper seller and I asked him for the "Barmaid's Bible".  He gave me the News of the World without a blink !!!

Now that the News of the World wants to be an investigative, journalistic newspaper, it should redefine its objectives.  A no holds barred attitude is not fair to the "whitnesses" which are interviewed without the protection of a lawyer !!! 

Likewise  the Law needs to be changed !!!  Simple, unprotected citizens need to be protected from investigative "journalists" !!! 

In the USA they used to have a law called the "Invasion of Privacy".  Does this still exist ?  Even if not, it could inspire lawyers to draft a law which protects the civil liberties of honest citizens!!!      

No comments:

Post a Comment