Thursday 6 December 2012

SMOG IN LONDON IN 1952, NOW WHERE IS IT ?


The "Smog" (SMoke + fOG) was an unforgetable experience for all Londoners in December 1952.  I knew my area of London, the Kennington Oval area where the Surrey Cricket ground is still today, like the back of my hand !!!

Yet, when I came home on Fridays from my Boarding School I got "lost" in an area I knew well !!!  The Smog was thick and one could not see more than 10 or 15 feet in any direction !!! Traffic just crawled !!!

I now live in the centre of Paris, but almost each week, on a Sunday morning, I say to my French wife "There is no haze, the Sky is blue, ..."

In fact, there are no cars, or very few, in Paris between Saturday lunchtime and Sunday  evening !!!  There are less foul emissions from cars, and, let's be clear, less Buses !!! 

This problem has now been raised because something must be done !!!  However, politicians should not rub their hands at the thought that this is another good idea to create a tax on Motorists in France !!!  Or on Motorists in major cities in France !!!      

No comments:

Post a Comment